We will keep you updated on our China trip on our blog at www.HelpRyanSee.com
Thanks everyone for all your help and encouragement! This is a dream come true!
Would you like to know more about Fasting? Fasting is to voluntarily refrain from eating or drinking for the purpose of drawing closer to the Lord and requesting his blessings. Prayer is a necessary part of fasting. Throughout the scriptures, prayer and fasting are mentioned together. Our fasting should be accompanied by sincere prayer, and we should begin and end our fasting with prayer.
In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints today, one Sabbath day each month is set aside for the purpose of fasting. During this time, Church members go without food and water for twenty-four hours. They then contribute to the Church the money that they would have spent on food for those meals. This money is called a fast offering. The Church uses the fast offerings to assist the poor and needy. To help children understand fasting and prayer there is a story you can read them HERE.
Fasting is mentioned many times in the scriptures listed below:
- We fasted and besought our God, Ezra 8:21–23, 31
- I fasted and prayed before the God of heaven, Neh. 1:4
- Fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink for three days, Esth. 4:16
- I humbled my soul with fasting, Ps. 35:13
- Is not this the fast that I have chosen?, Isa. 58:3–12
- I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer, with fasting, Dan. 9:3
- Turn ye to me with all your heart, and with fasting, Joel 2:12
- Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, Jonah 3:5
- Jesus fasted for forty days, Matt. 4:2 (Ex. 34:28; 1 Kgs. 19:8; Luke 4:1–2).
- Appear not unto men to fast, Matt. 6:18 (3 Ne. 13:16).
- This kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting, Matt. 17:21
- Continue in fasting and praying, Omni 1:26 (4 Ne. 1:12).
- They began to fast, and to pray to the Lord their God, Mosiah 27:22
- I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things, Alma 5:46
- The children of God joined in fasting and mighty prayer, Alma 6:6
- The sons of Mosiah had given themselves to much prayer and fasting, Alma 17:3, 9
- A time of fasting and prayer followed the death of many Nephites, Alma 28:5–6
- They did fast much and pray much, Alma 45:1 (Hel. 3:35).
- Let thy food be prepared with singleness of heart that thy fasting may be perfect, D&C 59:13–14
- Ye shall continue in prayer and fasting, D&C 88:76